Current Volunteer Opportunities - April 2019
Summer Heritage Festival Coordinator
- From May through August, Westchester County hosts 11 heritage festivals. These take place on Sundays at Kensico Dam and other county parks. Last year Hearts and Homes for Refugees / Westchester Refugee Initiative hosted a table at four of the festivals - this year we're hoping to be at all 11! We are looking for a volunteer coordinator to get us registered and organize the volunteers that staff the table (ask for the position description for details of the responsibilities).
Winter Drive and more
- This winter isn't yet over, but we are preparing in advance for our next Winter Drive, which will take place in the fall of 2019. We need people willing to take a leadership role in the planning and organization! We would also love to work with groups who might be interested in hosting a “spring showers” umbrella drive, a summer “back to school” backpack/supplies drive, or an "anytime" toiletries drive.
- Join the advocacy committee to help plan and execute a county-wide advocacy effort on behalf of refugees
- Host a postcard advocacy event in your local community - we can provide a toolkit with messages and postcards, you gather your friends and mail the postcards
- Help staff our postcard advocacy tables at the Westchester Heritage Festivals - requires a commitment of just one Sunday during the summer
- Be a social media ambassador - join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, then help us spread facts and positive messages about refugees by reposting/retweeting
- Book group - join our online book group and lead the discussion one month - look for Hearts and Homes for Refugees on Goodreads.com. (Questions about how to participate? Read our instructions here.)
- High school students can organize an experiential refugee simulation at their school - contact us for more information.
To find out more about any of the advocacy and awareness-raising activities or to offer to volunteer, send an email to email@example.com.
There are no vacancies at this time, but thank you for your interest.